Everything in the universe has rhythm. Everything dances. - Maya Angelou

12.16.2005

How can you tell when a lawyer is lying?
His lips are moving.

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer walking down the street with his hands in his own pockets.

and the classic:

What's the difference between a hooker and a lawyer?
A hooker will stop screwing you after you're dead.

****

And this is the profession I am planning on dedicating my life to...

My plan is to be part of the solution of giving lawyers a good name, not part of the problem...although I'm sure many a lawyer comes into law school as idealistic as I am, and I'm sure that doesn't last forever.

I mean first of all, money. For those of us who are poor and NOT here on scholarship, we are spending 32,000 a year for school plus living expenses. If I don't get any scholarships next year or the year after, when I graduate I will be approximately 150,000 dollars in debt, just for law school, not to mention undergrad debt (which isn't too bad but still there). So whether or not I want it to be one or not, money HAS to be a factor.

So if you want to make the big bucks, you have to go corporate/big business. Work 80 hour weeks. Work most weekends. Have no life. But lots of money and lots of respect. A firm name that people have heard of. Name recognition. Power. All temptations that are hard to resist.

If you want to help those who need it, you need to make personal sacrifices. If you want to work at a clinic or a free legal service program, you won't be able to live the nice life. And while making these sacrifices see your classmates living it up in NYC. But me doing corporate work? I don't know. I just don't know.

For the past month I've been studying. Outlining, reading, doing flashcards, anything but going out and having fun. Nothing but work. I had a beer yesterday after my test and have lost my acquired taste for beer. If you know me, you know this is not like me. When I go to the city, it is to go to review sessions. Taking 3 hour tests every 4 days, with one left, reminding myself that I CHOSE this life. So why complain about right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home