I went to the gym, yes, I know that should be what this post is about, Amanda miraculously getting her fat ass to the gym, but that's just my scene setting info. At the gym they have a magazine rack where people leave the magazines they already read for others to use while working out. I had no reading material so I went to see what was there. Last week I lucked out and got Star magazine so I was updated on all my celebrity gossip. This time not so lucky. Two choices, Wall Street Journal or Seventeen. I figured I'd totally look like a poser trying to read the Wall Street Journal while listening to horrible pop music on my ipod so I opted for Seventeen. Besides, I wanted to see what it was like now.
Let me say I can't believe we let teenage girls read it. Some highlights:
1) The first page you can actually read after the numerous amounts of ads is a page of readers' letters about last month's issue. One 17 year old girl thanked 17 for their article telling girls to date around, because at 17 she has started dating around with her college friends and whoever else she possibly meets, and she is just so much happier then she was before.
Some guys respect her honesty, some guys get mad at her when she says that she doesn't want to be exclusive and others tell her its ok because that's exactly what they were doing to her already. So when she gets knocked up she will have a fun time figuring out who daddy is.
2) An article about a gay Christian boy who was kicked out by his mom for being gay and then went to a church sponsored therapy program to make himself straight. Surprise surprise after a year of daily therapy it didn't work. That wasn't the bad part (although I think it was bad that the magazine didn't speak out against such groups, but I know for political reasons or whatever they probably won't). The bad part was the survey that accompanied it asked readers if they thought gay people could be turned straight.
3) Then there was a "health" article telling you what not to eat on the left side page. It listed in the drinks category: coffee, soft drinks, energy drinks. Basically anything with caffeine saying that caffeine dries your skin out and makes you dehydrated and blah blah blah, basically saying caffeine makes you ugly. Then on the right side page following this one is an ad for coke saying "myth #1: caffeine is bad for you" and goes on to discuss why caffeine isn't actually bad for you.
Not to mention all the ads with ridiculously skinny girls, the work out regime so that teenagers can have 6 pack abs, and the Miss Seventeen pageant.
Let me say I can't believe we let teenage girls read it. Some highlights:
1) The first page you can actually read after the numerous amounts of ads is a page of readers' letters about last month's issue. One 17 year old girl thanked 17 for their article telling girls to date around, because at 17 she has started dating around with her college friends and whoever else she possibly meets, and she is just so much happier then she was before.
Some guys respect her honesty, some guys get mad at her when she says that she doesn't want to be exclusive and others tell her its ok because that's exactly what they were doing to her already. So when she gets knocked up she will have a fun time figuring out who daddy is.
2) An article about a gay Christian boy who was kicked out by his mom for being gay and then went to a church sponsored therapy program to make himself straight. Surprise surprise after a year of daily therapy it didn't work. That wasn't the bad part (although I think it was bad that the magazine didn't speak out against such groups, but I know for political reasons or whatever they probably won't). The bad part was the survey that accompanied it asked readers if they thought gay people could be turned straight.
3) Then there was a "health" article telling you what not to eat on the left side page. It listed in the drinks category: coffee, soft drinks, energy drinks. Basically anything with caffeine saying that caffeine dries your skin out and makes you dehydrated and blah blah blah, basically saying caffeine makes you ugly. Then on the right side page following this one is an ad for coke saying "myth #1: caffeine is bad for you" and goes on to discuss why caffeine isn't actually bad for you.
Not to mention all the ads with ridiculously skinny girls, the work out regime so that teenagers can have 6 pack abs, and the Miss Seventeen pageant.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home