The NYC metro, aka the busses, subways and trains that take people like me to school, work and play are on strike. The union is being fined a million dollars a day and refuses to back down. The city refuses to give in to the union's demand, so who suffers? WE DO. I am one of the lucky ones because I am walking distance from school (although walking to school in 20 degree weather wasn't super exciting), but others who had to take the same final at the same time as me today, those that came from Brooklyn, other parts of Queens not near the school Long Island, Staten Island, the city or wherever else they come from, weren't so lucky.
I guess with this stuff is the sad thing is its the poorer people who suffer the most, who don't have other options. If you don't have a car, which is common here because you don't really need one, you depend on the metro, and now you can't get to work or your kids can't get to school. Then again, the union believes so strongly in their cause that they are willing to shut down NYC to prove their point. I just hope this gets resolved soon.
I guess with this stuff is the sad thing is its the poorer people who suffer the most, who don't have other options. If you don't have a car, which is common here because you don't really need one, you depend on the metro, and now you can't get to work or your kids can't get to school. Then again, the union believes so strongly in their cause that they are willing to shut down NYC to prove their point. I just hope this gets resolved soon.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home