Everything in the universe has rhythm. Everything dances. - Maya Angelou

6.09.2007

Vegas was a good trip. Did all the typical Vegas stuff - drank, ate and gambled. Did ALOT of eating. I swear my stomach isn't like it used to be. I was so full allll the time. We didn't even hit up any buffets! The dry heat was actually kind of nice. We went to the pool one day and although I can see my bikini lines I am still white. Played some poker and just got to hang with the girls. Also, we played wii which was really fun. Pictures are up on my myspace if you want to take a look.

This past week I have been volunteering for the St. Bernard Project. I am helping to rebuild a house for a family. The house was totally gutted, and now is being rebuild from the ground up. I was definitely not cut out to be a construction worker. Drywall is not my thing. But it's good work and I'm glad to be a part of it. The family we are rebuilding the house for comes by everyday and on fridays they cook lunch for everyone which is sweet. It's nice to see their reactions to how muc we have done and to our work. However, no air conditioning in New Orleans weather doing ridiculous physical labor isn't the best. One girl passed out from heat stroke on Wednesday and had to be taken to the hospital. She didn't come to for at least 5 minutes. So on Thursday and Friday they brought us sooooo much water and kept making us drink it.

I took some pictures of the neighborhood I've been working in. I'll post them soon. The area still looks like Katrina just hit it. Chalmette (the area) was not only hit by flooding but there was an oil refinery nearby that did not take proper hurricane precautions so oil was spilled in the area as well. The oil company cleaned up the oil after a legal battle and much reluctance because its not a cheap thing to do, so now its just hurricane damage that needs to be repaired.