Everything in the universe has rhythm. Everything dances. - Maya Angelou

11.21.2004

So Julie and I went to Vanessa Carlton's show on Thursday and it was great. Just her and a piano. It was cool because she would talk about how she came up with songs and the stories behind them. There were two of these explanations that just made the songs that much better for me. I mean once I understood the context, I realized I knew people who fit into these two songs soooo well. The first song, Rinse, she wrote about a friend who got dumped by her boyfriend and just did anything to get the guy back.

Some lyrics from the song:

she'd do anything to sparkle in his eye
she would suffer, she would fight, and compromise.

how she'd be soothed, how she'd be saved if he could see
she needs to be held in his arms to be free

I mean how many girls do you know like that? Cus I know a few, to say the least. Then the all important line from this song:

everything happens for reasons that she will never understand
'til she knows that the heart of a woman will never be found in the arms of a man.

Once we girls get that through our heads we can rule the world.


The next song Wanted, she wrote about this neighbor she liked who was super hot but a dumbass (her word). So she always liked him and he never gave her the time of day, then one day she played piano for him and after that he was sprung. So then of course she was annoyed that he didnt like her but liked her piano playing skills. I won't post more lyrics, I'm sure most of you have tuned out by this point, but like when I like a guy I'm all shy and what not. So I'm quiet and shy and he usually ends up liking one of my cute not shy friends. Then he gets to know me and realizes im chill and what not and then forms a crush on me. So I mean, I feel Vanessa on that.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home