Everything in the universe has rhythm. Everything dances. - Maya Angelou

1.09.2006

Ok so I don't know who I told and who I didn't tell about this story, but I can now report that it has a happy ending.

During finals I was going to Dunkin Donuts at least once a day. One of these days I was studying with Sheebani and Stacy. Now, at the Dunkin I go to there are several 2 person tables and one round larger table made to fit 4. We were at this table.

Stacy got tired and left.

About 5-10 minutes after she left this older woman with a cane comes strolling in and walks right over to me and Sheebani. She is telling us that Dunkin is not a library and that young people like us are selfish for taking up the big table when there's only two of us. All explanations we tried to give her were ignored. She walked away and Sheebani and I looked at each other in disbelief and had one of those "did that just happen" "yeah it just happened" conversations.

At this point the lady's two daughters come inside. One is obviously embarassed of her mother as any normal person would be. The other walks right over to us, mostly to Sheebani, and starts screaming at us about how we were mad-dogging her mom and how she has a masters so she doesnt need to go to St. John's to study. So we were yelling at her but you know you can't fight crazy people and she was definitely crazy.

So she went over to the manager and told him we needed to be moved. He came up to us and asked us to move tables. Never asked us our side of the story despite knowing that everyone in Dunkin had stopped talking, eating, drinking coffee to listen to us being yelled at. Turns out he doesn't speak much English so anything I tried to tell him was over his head. So Sheebani and I just left.

I wrote an email to Dunkin headquarters vowing never to return there again unless they did something about the situation. At first I was angry with the crazy bitches for being crazy. Then I realized they are crazy and there's no point in being mad at them. But Dunkin, well, they could have done something about the situation, at various points of the incident.

I received no response for awhile, which made me sad because the little guy like me is invariably going to lose the battle. I miss out on Dunkin but they can definitely survive without me.

I got back to my place in NY and there was a letter from the Dunkin headquarters for me. It was a personalized letter apologizing for the incident and it had enclosed 5 dollars to Dunkin. So even though I could never win the war against a big corporation like Dunkin I did win the battle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home