Everything in the universe has rhythm. Everything dances. - Maya Angelou

5.31.2006

So I was watching The View a few weeks ago and Teri Hatcher was on promoting this book she had written called Burnt Toast about how too many women are pushovers and don't give themselves enough credit. So being the person I am, I bought it at half.com thinking if it was bad I didn't pay too much for it. And yes, it isn't the highest quality of writing, and yes at times it is annoying to hear about how wonderful her kid is, but there are some gems to get out of it.

One thing (not a gem but something she has yet to explain) is that she did not have sex on her honeymoon. I thought when this happened to Charlotte on Sex and the City that it was just a fiction, but apparently this does happen. Teri is now divorced, hmmm wonder why that marriage didn't work out.

The gem I wanted to discuss is the one where we don't give ourselves enough credit. That some women (I'm part of this group) think that even if something good happens that either it shouldn't have happened to me or that I don't deserve it. Teri is part of this group, when she got Lois and Clark and Desperate Housewives, she didn't let herself believe she had arrived or that she was a success. She saved her money, she was careful about being too flashy, she was worried it would all end when people saw that she couldn't act (because that is what she believed).

So finally I got a decent grade in law school. And my first thought is, this must be wrong. Why is that my first thought? Why can't it be "wow, I worked hard and it paid off"? Definitely something to work on. For me I'm just always scared of inflated egos and being that person that gives themself too much credit. But being aware that an inflated ego can happen will help prevent me from having one.

3 Comments:

  • Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:19 PM  

  • Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:52 PM  

  • This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home