"You had my trust and intimacy
But you threw it away just threw it away
And now it's all in the past
When I think of you
I just laugh
My friends must have thought
I was high to have given so much
To someone not worth my time" - MC
About two days ago I was forced to venture into enemy territory, Blockbuster video (my friend didn't know any other video stores in her area! shame on her!). Being inside it made me feel justified in my hatred for it. First off, they have taken all the classic movies and moved them into the normal sections. So if I wanted to rent Breakfast at Tiffany's (a classic with Audrey Hepburn that was nominated for several academy awards) it will be on the same shelf, perhaps even next to, movies such as Booty Call. Such a pity.
We couldnt decide on a movie, so we settled, sadly enough, on Tuck Everlasting (which I kinda do wanna see). Guess what? There were no more! We thought there was one left, but someone had placed a copy of the Tuxedo in the Tuck Everlasting shelf. And of course Blockbuster only guarantees certain videos to be in stock, and this was not one of them. So we had to find another film.
Also prices. People, blockbuster is ripping u off! For a video that was 3 pay periods late it cost my friend 12 dollars. At Wherehouse (where rentals are only a dollar to begin with (for both dvds and vhs tapes)) it would be 3 dollars for the same late fee. Hmmmm...food for thought.
These are all new reasons why I hate blockbuster. The original reason for my hating of blockbuster is that the people who work there know shit about movies. If you ask them for help on choosing a movie, they simply type your request into a computer, something you could do on your own at home. In smaller video stores, where the people hired actually have seen movies older than 1998, they can tell you off the top of their heads what movies to watch. Like if I say "I really like the sappy romantic movies that Grace Kelly is in, but I've seen all hers, do you know of any like hers that are with other people?" At blockbuster they will type it into the comp and tell me the computers recommendations (which are usually completely wrong, most recommendations are based on the actors who are in it, so if Grace Kelly starred with Jimmy Stewart in a flick, it will list all his films, even though he made some westerns, horror films, and war films, which are not what I'm looking for). At a place where they know their shit, they will give me recommendations based on movies they have seen...not to say that all blockbusters employees are incompetent, just the ones I've come across.
But you threw it away just threw it away
And now it's all in the past
When I think of you
I just laugh
My friends must have thought
I was high to have given so much
To someone not worth my time" - MC
About two days ago I was forced to venture into enemy territory, Blockbuster video (my friend didn't know any other video stores in her area! shame on her!). Being inside it made me feel justified in my hatred for it. First off, they have taken all the classic movies and moved them into the normal sections. So if I wanted to rent Breakfast at Tiffany's (a classic with Audrey Hepburn that was nominated for several academy awards) it will be on the same shelf, perhaps even next to, movies such as Booty Call. Such a pity.
We couldnt decide on a movie, so we settled, sadly enough, on Tuck Everlasting (which I kinda do wanna see). Guess what? There were no more! We thought there was one left, but someone had placed a copy of the Tuxedo in the Tuck Everlasting shelf. And of course Blockbuster only guarantees certain videos to be in stock, and this was not one of them. So we had to find another film.
Also prices. People, blockbuster is ripping u off! For a video that was 3 pay periods late it cost my friend 12 dollars. At Wherehouse (where rentals are only a dollar to begin with (for both dvds and vhs tapes)) it would be 3 dollars for the same late fee. Hmmmm...food for thought.
These are all new reasons why I hate blockbuster. The original reason for my hating of blockbuster is that the people who work there know shit about movies. If you ask them for help on choosing a movie, they simply type your request into a computer, something you could do on your own at home. In smaller video stores, where the people hired actually have seen movies older than 1998, they can tell you off the top of their heads what movies to watch. Like if I say "I really like the sappy romantic movies that Grace Kelly is in, but I've seen all hers, do you know of any like hers that are with other people?" At blockbuster they will type it into the comp and tell me the computers recommendations (which are usually completely wrong, most recommendations are based on the actors who are in it, so if Grace Kelly starred with Jimmy Stewart in a flick, it will list all his films, even though he made some westerns, horror films, and war films, which are not what I'm looking for). At a place where they know their shit, they will give me recommendations based on movies they have seen...not to say that all blockbusters employees are incompetent, just the ones I've come across.
